THE GOLFY CLUB

LIV Golf members will be allowed to compete in The Open

Table of Contents

Qualifying LIV Golf members will be allowed to compete in the 151st edition of The Open this summer at Royal Liverpool, the R&A announced on Tuesday.

Among the notable LIV golfers who are exempt from the July 20-23 tournament are past Open champions Phil Mickelson, Henrik StensonSweden Louis OosthuizenSouth Africas reigning winner Cameron SmithAustralia

Participation is also possible Dustin Johnson Bryson deChambeauThe winner of the St. Andrews 10th Place trophy last year, as well former major winners Brooks Koepka Patrick ReedAmong others.

We have created an exciting schedule of events which takes in many regions around the world and provides the chance for golfers to earn a place in the Open at Royal Liverpool, said Johnnie Cole-Hamilton, executive director of champions at the R&A.

We are grateful for the support of our colleagues at professional tours and look forward to seeing who emerges each event to book a place in the Championship.

Tuesdays news is on par with what R&A chief Martin Slumbers said in July. He said that banning LIV player was not on our agenda.

In October, he doubled down on this message.

Slumbers said that they would make public what they are doing with regard to LIV golfers in January/February. But, if you need a guide, refer back to what I said last July. We arent banning anyone. We wont betray 150 centuries of history and make the Open less open. The name says everything. This is important. We will ensure that there are suitable pathways and methods to qualify.

I look forward seeing Cam Smith tee up around 9:40 AM on the Opens first day next year. The Open needs to be clear about its principles and not get distracted by disagreements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect, Share, and Grow with Fellow Golfers

Take Your Game to the Next Level

TheGolfy.com © All Rights Reserved 2023